Thursday, August 27, 2009

“Get Back to Where You Once Belonged- in size 8 jeans”

Have you ever heard of a “little black dress”?
Let me define for those of you who might not know. The ownership of a "little black dress" is crucial to complete a proper female wardrobe.  It needs to be short, but simple; sexy, but timeless.
Most girls have 1 (or 5).  I am an accompanist, so I default to black dresses anyway.  I almost bought my 6th yesterday.  It’s kind of an addiction.  I LOVE BLACK DRESSES!
Black is slimming, and somehow, it’s sexy.  How does a color become sexy?  I don’t know how that works, but black is just sexy.  LBDs are magical for fat bodies.  They are magical for skinny bodies.  Anyone could wear one anywhere.  With a cardigan or with a jacket.  With high heels or with diamonds.  In a box or with a fox.  The LBD is just…essential.  I digress.
The reason I bring up the LBD is to segue to the “perfect jeans”.
Most of the ladies I know, have a pair of jeans (or 5) that they feel especially close to.  We women have personal relationships with our clothing.  We know them.  We know why they work or don’t work for any given situation.  We understand when we dress, the reactions we will or won’t get from men or women in our daily lives.  Women just KNOW their clothes.  It’s a funny thing that men probably don’t get (yikes- I just gender-stereotyped!).
For example: I could describe in detail every pair of jeans I’ve owned since about 2001.  Here’s 3.
There were those mid-rise, size-10 medium-wash capris from Old Navy that I bought at the Grapevine Mills Mall in January of 8th grade.  I also bought a Small, Red, Ribbed- Tank, and Red, Heart-Designed Flip-Flops that same day.
How about those size-12, boot-cut, dark-wash Gap Jeans, with the wide belt loops I bought on sale for $19.99 in August of my freshmen year at OC?  They were stolen from the Gunn Henderson Laundry Room (the one time I did laundry that year).  I wore holes in those jeans in a short time.
But the real gem…
Size 8.  Dark Wash.  Tight.  Extremely Low Rise.  American Eagle.  Slightly Flared.  Totally Hot.
These were my very favorite jeans, because I bought them after losing a bunch of weight in 2002.  They made me feel SO confident.  Wearing them made me feel like no one could touch me.  Of course, all the boys wanted to.  I know they liked those jeans.
My point is, not since my freshman year, almost exactly 4 years ago this week, have I had “that favorite pair of jeans”, because at some point, nothing you wear can make you feel beautiful or sexy or confident when you’re too overweight.
Of course, I should note that true confidence and beauty comes from within.  I really do believe that.  But all of you musicians will agree with me, that dressing up, or wearing the best outfit really does so much for women (and maybe men…I don’t know!).
I STILL have those AE jeans from when I was 16.  Maybe I’ll squeeze in them again sometime.  To be able to put those on again would be…physically restricting, but metaphorically freeing.  And totally hot.
I spent 1.5 hours working out today.  I’m obsessed with Wii Fit.  The trick is balancing it with school and piano starting next week.  YIKES!

15 comments:

  1. I think it's inappropriate for a woman to be wearing jeans.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you on the jeans. I have a dark, slightly faded, frayed at the bottom, usually worn with an earthy colored shirt pair that is still in my closet from about 5 years ago. More recently I have a size 8 perfect weekend jean from Old Davy that I distinctly remember wearing on my wedding day two years ago that I have not been able to wear since. Perhaps my hips are becoming more womanly or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first part reminds me of Dr. Geiger's timeless joke: "I like research papers the same way I like woman's skirts: long enough to cover the subject, short enough to keep it interesting."

    And, no...I don't know many guys who "know" their clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebekah! This blog is amazing. I want you to know that you have motivated me to start exercising again. Eating right and exercise are two things that I've always struggled with, but there's no time like the present to take control! I think you are totally awesome and look forward to following your blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebekah, I absolutely love this post. And it reminded me of a) my latest blog, and b) last night when I was like OMG MY FAVORITE JEANS EVER (so late at night when I was already a crazy anyway).

    I'm going to be real here. Every single pair of jeans I bought this summer I bought at least one size down to motivate myself. I bought expensive jeans in NYC, and I bought all "goal jeans" so that I would force myself to work out and not have wasted all of that money on jeans I would never wear. And magically I have gone from being a larger 10 to a middle 8. I still have a pair of 6s that run large that I am determined to wear by Christmas, so that's keeping me hooked. But I am shocked, actually - I don't know how that much change happened. But this post of yours rang so true - that perfect pair of jeans is so important (at least for me, since I apparently became a fashionista this summer), and until this past month I have not felt beautiful or sexy in any pants because I wasn't comfortable with my body. I'm still not at my goal, but I am further than I thought, and it makes me so ridiculously happy to know that I'm making progress.

    (And when I write for the Talon I am totally going to stand up for women. I'm not going to take OC's constantly male stance. Well, I might have to sometimes so I don't get fired, but...I'm going to do what I can.)

    Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely understand about a favorite pair of jeans. For a while numbers as far as sizes go really bugged me. My most recent pair of favorite jeans came from Old Navy and were 8's which, for someone who had' been stuck in a 10 and was bugged by it, felt great to put it.
    For me, there are some clothes I just feel like me in so I know exactly what you mean bout that.
    Keep up the good work. I'm going to try to exercise more once I get a routine going but I'm like you, I don't know if I'll have the time.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a box with a fox. I had some JNCOs in 6th grade that were SA-weet because they were JNCOs and it was 6th grade. They weren't crazy huge like the Kangaroo ones. Also, I believe that they were bought at McCalls. Other than that I couldn't really tell you much about any other jeans I've had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to really like wearing jeans, but it's so hard to come by the perfect pair.
    Adam- JNCOs were so cool. I think my parents got me a pair...but they looked stupid, so I hardly wore them. Whoops!

    Also, I was at the mall yesterday and saw at least 10 LBD that I needed. Not wanted, of course, but needed. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. A. How are you such a good writer? Teach me! B. I love all the Beatles song references. I can think of so many that would work well! C. The whole jean thing is so incredibly true. I could go on in detail forever about all my jeans (mainly about how they are all way too short). D. I love this blog and I am so proud of you! It takes so much courage to post such personal stuff like this which I find really admirable. E. YAY I want to play WiiFit with you all the time! Bring it over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. F. Did Julie & Julia inspire you to write this blog? Just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually- I started writing it before we saw the movie...I was wondering if people were going to think that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, I remember those late night Taco Bell runs with Olivia, David, and Robbie.

    I just got back from half an hour of walking and this was on my news feed. Keep it up! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love having 1 LBD to wear but mine is a huge, dowdy LBD now. I swore when I was young I wouldn't let myself go. I was sz 8, 120 lbs, tan, and into the latest makeup & hairstyles. But I have hope that if I'll just cut simple carbs and most of my dairy (and when I say dairy, I mean cheese) intake and do moderate exercise, I'll eventually meet my goal. I also have to give up my late night "snacking" and obsession with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't got a clue what my clothes look like-just make sure they cover my body in the morning-or try to:)

    ReplyDelete