Wednesday, August 26, 2009

”We can work it out 5 times a week for at least 20 minutes.”

*see note
Who knew you could feel the bliss of accomplishment after playing a video game?  After all, video games are an excellent way to become a lazy-fatty.  As I’m writing this, I’m sitting on the couch watching my husband play Super Mario World- ironic?
BUT, it’s okay that I’m sitting here watching him play video games because I just worked out for 40 minutes.

With a video game.

Wait. WHHHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!  What is this nonsense you speak of?  VIDEO GAME EXERCISE?  Sounds CrAzY, Rebekah!!

I assure you- it’s not crazy!  It’s called Wii Fit and it’s awesome!
Wii Fit.  It’s really cool.
In the Wii Fit game, which the Parkers invested in,- yes, I would call it expensive enough to be an investment; of course, it’s an investment in my health and well being, so that’s really priceless, right? – any player can participate in numerous activities in 4 categories: Yoga, Strength Training, Aerobics, and Balance Games.  The more you work out, the more challenging the activities can become, and the more new exciting games you can “unlock”.
I applaud Nintendo for coming up with this revolutionary idea.
One of the best things about the Wii Fit, is that it tracks your weight changes every time you play.  What an excellent incentive- to be able to see my weight changes on a graph!

Now, since I’m divulging to you, my faithful followers, my weight loss tactics- I’m going to explain my workout regimen:
-I’m moving from 5 days a week to 7.  Taking the weekend off of working out makes Monday so much harder.
-I’m doing app. 50 minutes of treadmill (in phase 6) in the mornings BEFORE all my classes.  6:30am anyone??
-I’m using the Wii Fit and my beloved exercise bike as purely supplementary exercise.
My biggest concerns right now:
a)    Making myself get up in the morning and go to the treadmill in phase 6
a.     Why would this be difficult?
                                               i.     My husband sleeps in and works at night
                                              ii.     I have trouble deciding what to wear- even to work out (Rebekah: “James, I have NOTHING TO WEAR!” James: “What about one of the 16 clean t-shirts in the closet?”  Rebekah: “Those aren’t comfortable” or “I don’t like them” or “They don’t fit right” or “I can’t wear THOSE!”  James: “……….”
                                            iii.     Working out means sweating, which means showering, which means, I have to dry my hair, which is a HUGE task
b)   Actually working out 7 days a week
a.     Why would this be difficult?
                                               i.     Saturdays.
                                              ii.     Sundays.
                                            iii.     No further explanation needed here.
Anyways, I’ve already been working out some, but my 7 days a week is starting this Sunday- the day before my senior year of college starts.  I’m hoping it will be a landmark in my life history.  The 1st day of the rest of my life, working out every day.
I’m coinciding my new exercise regimen with my schoolwork this semester- going for all As this semester!  I’m not quite as committed to that goal of course but…oh well.
School sucks.


* Thank you to everyone for commenting on my first post!  I appreciate anything you have to say to me and reading your comments motivates me!

10 comments:

  1. To be honest, your blog and your resolve motivate me to go work out, too. I live next to long stretch of road far from houses/businesses with no pedestrian traffic, so I think I might pick up my old habit of march-walking and singing with my iPod as loud as I want. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, this is-as you would say- CrAzY because I just decided that since my long-term travel plans got canned this is the perfect time for me to work out as consistently as I use to. Remember my senior year in high school when I woke up at 5:15 on weekdays to go to the gym or run at the band field and do pull-ups from Mrs. Feroli's tower before early rehearsals? Yeah, hasn't happened much since.

    Sooo, knowing me you know that I can be extreme when devoting myself to something so I decided on p90x. You are going to be my motivation too. Sorry, didn't know you signed up for that but you don't really have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is very short and there's no time for running and jogging, my friend. I have always thought that I looked fine, but I could use some exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many hours of Super Mario World are required to equal one hour of exercise?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam- I heard p90x is intense.

    James- Get off the couch and do some push ups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked wii fit when i did it! cept im in high school and dont know how to play it.. I'm better at more complicated games. Those are a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to come over and play soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to come play as well!! I bet booty ballet doesn't count, huh?? haha! Also, I know the exact conversation you have with James about clothes because you've had it with me a few times .... just wear your paint shorts and one of the tshirts you stole from my years ago and get on with it :P haha!!

    Love you and am so so so proud of you for facing the vulnerability and courage it takes to do this!! Can't wait to see your success!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rebekah! Can't tell you how inspiring you are. The idea of losing >50 lbs is so daunting to me. My current goal as crazy as it sounds is to do 2 1/2 hrs of housework per day (@ 4 lbs/min this should be a 2 lb loss per week). I also try to walk in the morning for about 1/2 an hour. Heath and I have tried P90 and are impressed with the workouts (especially the abdominal exercises) but it is really intense. And since I still have boxes to unpack I have plenty of calories to burn around the house. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete