Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Long and Winding Road to Being Healthy

I feel like a wolf in sheep’s clothing and the sheep is fat.  This isn’t news, though.  I’ve felt this way for years- maybe even my whole life.  I’ve become fat on the outside, while remaining quite in shape on the inside.  In fact, my insides are in the best shape of their life so far (more on this later)!  If only, the outside matched.  Well, that’s kind of my goal (is that even realistic?)- to be able to present ‘the real Rebekah’ inside and out.
In the fashion of introductions, I have been on a diet for over 10 years.  Well, that is, some form of a diet, and off and on since then.  Some have worked, as I’ve been able to shed off up to 50 lbs. on occasion.  Most haven’t though.  This is the curse of my genes- the slow metabolism genes.  In this blog, I’m going to attempt to put into words, the experiences that go hand-in-hand with weight loss. 
As I chart my weight loss progress (and hopefully in return, receive mutual motivation), I will be working with percentages.  This is the stat I’m giving you, my soon-to-be faithful readers, as I don’t prefer to say my weight just now.  I am a lady for cryin’ out loud, and I get to keep some things personal.  Here goes:
According to my weight-loss research, and based on my height/age/weight stats, I need to lose approximately 45% of my current weight, in order to be healthy.
45%.
What’s 45% of your weight?  A lot, right?  That is almost half of me.  Imagine some other, evil Rebekah, running around, evading incarceration, constantly tricking and manipulating the “good Rebekah”…  If only I could just catch the “evil one” and KILL IT!  (Of course, please note, that I don’t believe in using guns or in the enforcing of the death penalty- even to kill an imposter half of my own body that I don’t want). 
Moving on: I can hardly fathom nearly half of my body being
evaporated away or sweat off.
How does one go about this, you might ask??
Exercise.  Healthy eating.  2 things.  2, seemingly simple things, albeit, 2 seemingly simple things, that will put into motion the changing of my entire life.
This is my weight loss tale.  Whoever guesses the song reference of the day (title, song & artist), will win some sort of prize, to be determined by me and only me.  They’ll get harder.
Please join me in this blog-venture, as I explore and subsequently spill my past, present, and future, in an attempt to motivate the crap out of myself.  
Or at least all of the fat.

16 comments:

  1. Good luck Rebekah! I'll definitely be following this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like it would be cheating to guess this one since I just saw it on your computer. But I am excited for your blog!

    Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice writing! Even spending time to sit down and write about a goal everyday is a HUGE step in the right direction! Rome wasn't built in a day, and Harry Potter didn't kill a thousand goblins in a weekend (did he fight goblins? I have no clue, I was just trying to find something you would relate to, ha). If I can only give one piece of advice, it is to give 15 mins a day for a month. Baby steps. Do everything from home. No gym memberships, no shipped in costly diet plans. Just 15 mins of "Sweatin' To The Oldies" or something awesoms like that on VHS! haha
    Have fun with it!
    Best wishes and I am only a phone call away if you need a "sweatin'" buddy, but I will probably be too busy eating nachos and watching tv to do anything physical! ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll subscribe to you, sure. And definitely be cheering for you. It's a total wonder I didn't gain a pound working at Papa John's. My theory is that working with an open oven on and no air conditioning sweated away everything (and took 10 years off my life).

    --Gary Simmons

    -----who is NOT related to Richard Simmons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Job Rebekah!!!!! Perhaps in the spring you can join Fleet Feets running program and train to run the Memorial Marathon 5k. I did it and am now training for a 10k run! You'll feel great about your accomplishment either way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey. I think this is great. I plan on following as I too would like to lose a little weight but to be honest I just want to be healthier in all I do. Good luck. You can do it!

    ~Rachel Ming

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome Rebekah. You are an inspiration! I will be following and trying my own weight loss journey. It's crept up on me over the years, and now my inactivity due to chronic pain has made weight loss almost impossible. Almost. I just need to find things I CAN do that will burn some calories. I'm cheering you on, and myself in the process....btw- Love the Beatles and "the Long and Winding Road."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woot! Good luck in this awesome and worthwhile endeavor! I love your writing style here! It's really fun to read. I'm looking forward to following your posts in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I can't wait to read all your posts. You are a great writer and story teller. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're a great writer Rebekah. I will enjoy reading your blog. I lost about 13 pounds this summer just from working out. I discovered long ago that working out was the key for me. Everyone has to suit their own personality. If I diet, I get so very cross and then become obsessed with what I can eat next. haha! Best of luck on this endeavor--the good news is that you're already very beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Bek. I wish you nothing but the best. Maybe the exercise Wii will replace a bunch of the trend toward the sedate. That was really fun last night and you can bring that with you again and again. Of course you can always come walk our trails or mow the yard too!! I wonder if losing 45% of yourself will effect your singing voice? I will look forward to following your blog. Catherine was correct, you are already very beautiful. (Like mother like daughter!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is fab, Bek. Perhaps you can inspire me since I have fallen off the wagon myself! Another encouragement is that you can actually PREVENT the diesease of diabetes if you kill that other evil girl. It took me years to develop diabetes and I didn't know anything about it when I was your age. Remember I was tall and slim like Bethany for many years and then Ka - Pow- EEEEEEEEE! We can take steps to help our health but we usually cannot prevent something. So . . . . . feel free to bring your Wii Fit out to the house any time and I will play with you. XOXOXOXOXO my darling; my sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay take that whole first paragraph and substitute "Rebekah" with "Megan" and it's the story of my life. I've read your whole blog up to this date as I start my new weightloss journey tomorrow as well. It touched me very deeply and I can't wait to read how your progress goes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hahaha, an evil Rebekah. make her go away!

    " I can hardly fathom nearly half of my body being
    evaporated away or sweat off."
    -don't forget pooped and peed out!

    Sorry it's taken me so long to comment you know me and procrastination. Olivia and I have been reading though and we're very encouraged by your resolve:)

    ReplyDelete