Saturday, August 29, 2009

Teach Your Children Not to Eat Fast Food



*WARNING- READ ENTIRE BLOG, OR YOU MAY DECIDE TO STOP AND GET FAST FOOD BEFORE THE BLOG IS OVER*
As I’m writing this, there’s a group of students in the Nowlin Center watching Hannah Montana Movie Musical on the big screen.  I don’t like Miley Cyrus or anything that comes out of her mouth.
Thesis statement:
The alleged convenience of fast food is not worth the negative effects that fast food will have on your body, spirit and mind.
First of all, I’d like to talk about the fast foods I’ve had a lifelong love affair with:
-       Hamburgers.  From McDonald’s.  From Braums.  Burger King.  Really anywhere- hamburgers are the BEST.  Can anyone argue that?  I’m the human embodiment of the Hamburglar.  I feel like I could stoop to thieving hamburgers.  Now, I don’t know of a situation that would arise that would cause me to do that, but I’m sure it’s happened before.  They’re just too delicious.
-       French Fries.  McDonald’s.  Arby’s. Chik-Fil-A.  What can I say about French Fries?  They are golden brown, and crunch in my mouth with ketchup.  Hosts of other places, really.
Hamburgers and French Fries.  How could someone NOT want these things?  They are just the most delicious.  Not to mention the camaraderie that they most certainly require.  The pairing of the 2 foods is…incontestable.  A match made in culinary heaven.  One cannot be without the other.
Burger & Fries.


Time to count calories- BOO!


McDonald’s Hamburger- 250 calories
McDonald’s Quarter Pounder w/Cheese- 510 calories
McDonald’s Medium French Fries- 380 calories
Braum’s 1/6 lb. Hamburger- 426 calories
Braum’s 1/3 lb. Hamburger- 730 calories
Burger King Whopper Jr.- 370 calories
Burger King Whopper- 670 calories
Burger King Medium French Fries- 480 calories
Arby’s Medium Curly Fries- 500 calories
Chik-Fil-A Medium Fries- 370 calories
Okay- let’s get real here.  Let’s say I’m on a 1200-calorie/day diet.  If I decide to eat a number 2 from McDonald’s (which includes a 210- calorie medium Coke), I’ve eaten 1100 of my calories for the entire day, which leaves me 100 calories…JUST SAY NO TO VALUE MEALS!
Anyways, I've found that one of the EASIEST ways to DIET is counting calories.  Just the act of paying attention to how many calories you’re eating or drinking in a day can really help cut down on food intake!
Now, it’s also important to eat good foods- fruits, vegetables, etc… but sometimes UNHEALTHY food in a SMALL portion is the best you can do.

My challenge today for myself, and for my readers: No more medium or large fries.  Always get small if you get any at all!

Thanks again for all of the comments- they are MAKING MY DAYS!

6 comments:

  1. Many coincidences today, Rebekah. I just ate burger & fries--with homemade ice cream :( I am also realizing how great counting calories works (when I do it). I am also on a 1200 cal/day goal. Heath is on his 2nd week of his weight loss pilgrimage and has lost 4 lbs. My loss is 3 lbs so I didn't quite make my goal this week but at least I lost 1 lb. My new favorite treat is a chocolate banana smoothie at starbucks--real cocoa, whey protein/fiber powder, 75% rda of fruit, etc. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try to avoid bringing my fast food around you. However, this post did make me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmm... i love those things too. but these days i aviod them at all costs. they go straight to my booty. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never really paid attention to counting calories. I do know that in drum corps we were consuming about 4,000-7,000 calories a day (not counting snacking on the bus) and drank about 3 gallons of water and a 1/2 gallon of Gatorade a day. LOTS. P90X is suppose to come in either this weekend or Monday so I'm excited/ a little anxious to begin. Last year was the first time in my life that I can remember not having to be in shape or train for anything specific and I found out that I can't stay motivated to exercise consistently on my own. Hopefully that will change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok you know how i feel about fast food, its a love/hate relationship and i almost never eat it. anyway, oh man counting calories really does help, for realzz with z's! i dont think it should be obsessive but once youre aware of what you put in your body things start to change, its like looking at the world with glasses on when you needed them but didnt wear them so everything was blurry before but now...ahh. and i think of fries as a special treat, something i only eat on occasion, and you definitely dont have to always order them! its like do i really need a side dish? why? ok love you, on to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it ok if I got fast food in the middle of the blog, and ate it while reading the rest?

    You should dress up as the hamburglar for halloween!

    ReplyDelete