Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Feet Have Become (Un?) Comfortably Numb

I worked out like, 3 times today.  I also ate Chinese Food for dinner.  I don't think it will end up balancing out, unfortunately.  I DID, however, abstain from cokes today.  Well, mostly.  I got a Coke with my Jimmy John's and drank about 1/3 of it and then gave it to James to take away.  Which really, for me, is abstaining from cokes.  I could drink Coke all day.  I mean, just sip on it ALL day.



My feet are burning.  They just BURN.  I have good shoes for exercising too.  I came to the conclusion about 30 pounds ago though, that once you're a certain weight, your feet just HURT.  Everything hurts them.  Wearing shoes, not wearing shoes, wearing sandals...I actually can't wear heels anymore- not that I was a pro before all of the weight gain, but still.  I like dressing up but it always feels pointless once I remember that I don't have shoes to wear that look good.  I usually wear flip-flops, because my feet are more claustrophobic than they are in pain.



I bought Dr. Scholl's heel-specific insole things for the wedding day and put them in my gorgeous shoes.  It was a WASTE of money.  When we were up there for the ceremony, I could FEEL my legs just trembling underneath my (thankfully) large and rather puffy wedding dress.  I was doing some major shifting of the weight under there.  I have such good stage presence.  That's the only way I got through that.



I suppose that being a performer makes you able to deal with that kind of situation.  I can think of a number of shows and performances where I was having a costume malfunction or just painful shoes on my feet, but I didn't let the audience know!




If you have EVER lived with me or spent enough time around me, you'll know that as soon as I get home from anywhere, I just take things off.  Especially shoes- they are the 1st to go.  My feet just don't like shoes- possibly because they hurt.  Of course, I wore flip-flops year round when I was "skinny", but I think that was because I was kind of a casual dresser at that time in my life.




So the irony of this whole thing, is that the more you weigh, the more it HURTS to walk (even short distances) or to exercise, which in turn, makes it feel horribly impossible to do.




I think to myself, "If only I weighed xxx lbs., then I would work out ALL the time without a problem!"  But I'm pretty sure working-out is a struggle for people of all weights.  Of course, I would love to work out and NOT be in pain.  Eh, whatever- I'm far from that ever happening again.  One.  Tiny.   Step.   At.   A.   Time.   (boo!)




* insert joke to end blog light-heartedly *

12 comments:

  1. BUT you worked out THREE times today!! I'm like...really super impressed by that. I don't think I mentioned that when you told me. Too much sweat clogging up my brain or something. But I think that is SO great.

    Shoes. I agree. I like them until I've started walking. Then I'm over it.

    You're such a pro. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud of you for working out!

    It doesn't hurt me to work out, but I'm still lazy about doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want you to know I just caught up on reading your entire blog and I am SUPER proud of you Rebekah!

    A few points since I'm behind:

    Wii Fit is amazing

    Not eating fast food, especially around James is a feat in and of itself, you should be lauded for it.

    I am super proud of you!

    You looked amazing on your wedding day and I'd never of known you were uncomfortable from the grin on your face (and the tear on James') ;)

    I'll be following and cheering you on from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Additional generic cheering comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I need to stop drinking (diet) cokes, too!! I heard that it takes 30 glasses of water to detox your body from just 1 soda. Isn't that crazy??
    I'm sorry your feet hurt :( that does make working out feel even more like a chore! And speaking of exercise being a chore, I hardly know anyone that can truly say they enjoy working out all the time. Even my brothers that run marathons... They don't always enjoy it (who would?!)
    I love you! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rebekah! a) Still loving your blog; b) You're so right about the shoe irony--I work out in my Merrill hiking shoes & look like a dork in so doing; high heels are torturous at my weight now so I use this as an excuse to shop for REALLY nice shoes occasionally, not Hollywood nice, but Westies nice; c) loved your judging efforts at retreat; d) feeling discouraged to only be 2 lbs down now but I'm keeping my calorie journal today, so hope springs eternal, I guess; e) YOU'RE DOING SO GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ehh... I think working out is a challenge for everyone. I just began training for a 10k...and it is torture almost every time I step foot on the treadmill. It's gotten a bit easier-- but it is still a challenge to find the motivation to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working out three times in one day? Wow! Thats impressive!

    Do you drink regular coke or diet coke? Obviously, soft drinks have a lot of calories, but if you're unwilling to cut them out completely or switch to diet, there are ways to cheat. You can get smaller cups so you aren't tempted to drink as much. Or if they don't have small cups (a lot of times even the smalls are huge!) you can fill your cup to the top with ice so not as much will fit. What I do when I drink soda (because I love DP, but not diet DP) is do half regular and half diet so it doesn't really taste like diet, and you're only getting half the calories.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Today was hard for me to today. I have been starving all day! Keep up the working out. The exercise (even when it doesn't burn all the calories that you want it to) is good for your whole body. Have you tried Crystal Light Lemonade? It is not bad. Tip: don't put quite as much water in it as it calls for and it tastes much better. Nothing takes the place of Coca-Cola but IMO it's the best diet drink choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, have you tried Fit-Flops? I wear them every day, walked 8+ hours in Vegas, my feet never hurt. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. weird that jeanise just said that! the lady whose kids i nanny wears fitflops..i'd never heard of them til literally 10 minutes ago. i'm so proud of you for everything!! keep it up! don't get too distracted by beatles rock band...

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are doing great! keep on keeping on, i love you and your blog lol yay no coke!

    my hips and knees almost always hurt when im working out. its terrible, i think my body is out of alignment somehow...but when im done i always feel better mentally.

    and can i just say my feet hurt soooooooooo badly during your wedding lol and i dont think i hid it as well as you, what with my swaying, standing on one foot etc, but fortunately everyone was looking at you in all your beautiful wedding glory hahaha

    oh and one more thing: i miss you

    ReplyDelete