Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tearin' Up My Heart Eating Large Quantities of Red Meat











James is making me write a blog of legitimacy after last night's blog. I was really out of it.   Just not in the sentence-forming mood.  Wow, that last sentence wasn't even a sentence.






I'm writing early today because I'm about to leave for my LAST OC Band Retreat. So, I'll be out of town tonight, roughing it out in Geary, Oklahoma with a bunch of band nerds. They really are nerds, but I guess that's okay, because I am kind of a nerd myself. What am I even saying? I'm a complete nerd- I'm BLOGGING for cryin' out loud!








A shout-out to my friend Elizabeth J., who is celebrating her birthday today! Elizabeth has lost 5 pounds in her weight loss goal recently- congrats!








Jan, Bethany and I played WiiFit last night and had a great time.  First we went to Louie's, which is a delicious restaurant in Edmond.  I ordered the Grilled, Lemon Pepper Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Fresh Fruit.  I really wanted chips and queso and a hamburger.  But the Chicken meal was actually quite tasty.  Jan got a salad- she also impresses me with her salad-eating.








I'm down 6 pounds and feeling good.  My original goal was 10 lbs. by the middle of next week.  Hopefully, I can reach that and then set my next goal.








One.




Step.




At.




A.




Time.




Can.




Feel.




Very.




Slow.








Perhaps weight loss is also a lesson in patience and persistence.  I should know, being a classical pianist. It takes such a long time of slow practice to even be able to make Chopin sound half-decent.  I'm working on the Revolutionary Etude for my recital.  I don't know which is harder- losing weight or playing that monster.  Okay, that was an easy answer- losing weight.






Practicing piano burns a few calories.






I'm trying to reduce my intake of red meat.  Red-meat is not heart-healthy, I think.  I really love it though.  Hamburgers or Meatballs or Steak.  Anything like that is delicious to me.  BUT, especially with my family history, I need to be careful not to eat too much meat, as I have in the past.  With my calorie counting and dieting I've really cut back on the amount of meat I eat.  Protein is healthy, but there are other ways to fill your protein intake other than a delicious steak.












I wish I liked fish, but alas.  I vomit just SMELLING it.















5 comments:

  1. Rebekah - What an inspiration you are. I have been stressed out lately and pressed for time and generally dissatisfied with the way my life has to be right now. I guess you haven't changed that, but you've given me something to relate to, to partner with. You're very entertaining (good job), and I'm excited to read on. I'm even dusting off my Wii Fit. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, I actually don't like most red meat. My mom has a calcium deficiency and (supposedly) has to eat red meat often, so at home we often had steak or pork chops. Now, I just don't like those things too much. Some steak is good, though.

    Be persistent! My mom has had surgery on both her knees now because one broke under her weight and then the other did while she was still recovering from the first surgery. The only way she can get things made right is to have lapband surgery -- which our insurance doesn't cover. We're gonna try to go for it, but it's possible that some of the medicines she takes will make disqualify her for the surgery.

    Please pray for her -- her name is Melinda. Let's remember that healthy eating habits are directly related to mobility and quality of life later on.

    You are an encouragement, and I'm glad James is by your side to encourage you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually red meat isn't bad for you. It was given a bad reputation in the past by the health community because it has saturated fat. But the claim that saturated fat is bad for you doesn't have any scientific proof to back it.

    You can still eat meat on a diet. In fact its good for you and eating protein keeps full for longer. Just stick with leaner cuts like sirloin and extra lean ground beef.

    I'm really proud of you. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this in my Google reader and thought the font seemed really huge but attributed it to the reader. But nope, it's huge here too! haha.

    We need to walk again. I'm basically healthy/not sick anymore, so let's get started on that. DVD player and Lost :)

    I am so excited for you to be reaching your goal - it may not seem like that much to you, but I think 10 pounds is a huge milestone. It's hard for me to reach that because once I notice I've started losing weight, I get excited and for some reason just am not as motivated to work out. So I gain it all back. But not this time!!!! You're kind of my invisible accountability partner - every time I think of eating something bad or not working out, I think about your blog and make myself do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up Rebekah you're doing awesome!

    I have a weight loss graph I keep in my room and color up to the number of pounds I have lost every week in red. Only three pounds so far but it's neat to look at.

    Taylor-where can I find scientific research showing that red meat isn't bad for me?

    ReplyDelete